Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ is a biweekly blog published every Wednesday and Sunday.
All indications are that the NFL lockout is near an end. To get in the mood for some football, here’s a little stat that will get you thinking about the upcoming NFL season.
So… how many points does an NFL team need to score to win on a consistent basis? Looking at the 256 regular season games and the 11 playoff games from last season, here’s a breakdown of win-loss records when teams scored a certain number of points in a game.
0-9 points 2-52 .039
10-19 points 48-115 .294
20-29 points 92-84 .523
30-39 points 103-16 .866
40-49 points 20-0 1.000
50 points or more 2-0 1.000
Here’s a few additional stats:
* The most frequent score was 20 points; a team scored 20 points in 39 games. Next was 17 points, which was scored by 38 teams last year.
* Teams that scored 25 or more points in a game were 164-40, an .804 winning percentage.
* Teams that scored under 25 points usually had a losing record, but teams had winning records in four point totals under 25 points… teams were 3-1 when scoring 15 points; 8-5 when scoring 19 points; 4-2 when scoring 22 points; and 16-6 when scoring 23 points.
* Most points scored to lose a game last year was 36.
* Teams were 50-167 (.230) when they scored under 20 points.