SIX STATS… is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
Game Seven… tonight… in St. Louis. This is the first Game Seven of the World Series since 2002 when Anaheim defeated the San Francisco Giants.
Does either team have the upper hand? Maybe a few of these stats will give us a hint:
1. The home team has won the last eight Game Sevens and nine of the last 11. Since 1969, the home team is 9-4 in the deciding Game Seven of the World Series.
2. The team that scores first in Game Seven has won 21 and lost 13. The team that has scored first has won 13 of the last 19.
3. A team scoring four or more runs in Game Seven is 23-4; teams scoring four or more runs in a Game Seven have won 10 of the last 11 times it has happened. The last team to score four or more runs in a Game Seven and lose were the Boston Red Sox in 1986, who lost 8-5. You can probably expect a low-scoring game… the last five Game Sevens have been 4-1, 3-2, 3-2, 1-0, 4-2.
4. A team that scores two or more runs in one of more innings is 28-12 in Game Sevens; the first team to score two or more runs in an inning in a Game Seven is 21-8.
5. Teams that have not committed an error in Game Seven has won 19 and lost 11.
6. The team that had the better regular season record has won 14 Game Sevens and lost 19. Two teams with the same regular season record played in a Game Seven.
BONUS: The winner of Game Six (to tie the series at 3-3) has won 8 of the last 9 Game Sevens. Could this stat and St. Louis being the home team spell a Game Seven win for the Cardinals?