Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ is a biweekly blog published every Wednesday and Sunday with a bonus “SIX STATS…” posting every Friday.
There has been a lot written that Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte is looking for a new contract. If workload alone was a criteria for Forte’s request, the running back who leads the Bears in most yards rushing and most yards receiving, deserves a new contract.
Forte has gained 672 of the Bears 803 yards rushing, 83.7% of the team’s rushing total. This percentage is tops among the 32 NFL teams. There are seven running backs who have 70% or more of their team’s rushing yards. The seven:
Matt Forte, Chicago 83.7%
Michael Turner, Atlanta, 78.7%
Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville, 78.0%
Cedric Benson, Cincinnati, 72.5%
Ahmad Bradshaw, New York Giants, 72.1%
Chris Wells, Arizona, 71.9%
Fred Jackson, Buffalo, 71.0%
On the other side of the coin, a handful of NFL teams are spreading the wealth when it comes to the ground attack. For example:
* Dallas and Indianapolis each have two players with 250 or more rushing yards.
* Philadelphia has two players with 350 or more rushing yards.
* Houston has two players with 400 or more rushing yards.
* New Orleans has three players with 200 or more rushing yards.
* Carolina has three players with 250 or more rushing yards.