Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ is a biweekly blog published every Wednesday and Sunday with a bonus “SIX STATS…” published every Friday.
The undefeated Green Bay Packers had a bye last week and get back into the action this Sunday with a game against the San Diego Chargers. So how well have previous Packers teams done the week after a bye? Here’s a look at some of the stats…
* The Pack is 13-9 after the bye week since 1990. They have, however, won eight of their last 10 after the week off. Of the last three Packers coaches, Mike McCarthy has the best record after the bye; his team’s have won four and lost only one. Mike Sherman was 4-2; Mike Holmgren‘s Packers were 3-5 the week after the bye.
* Eleven of the 22 games were decided by seven points or less. They played in three overtime contests, winning one and losing two.
* The Packers have a 7-1 record in games at home after the bye week; they are 6-8 in games away after the bye week. This week’s game is in San Diego.
* This year’s bye came on Week 8. In the past years, the Packers are 4-2 after a bye on Week 8. Other records after bye weeks: Week 3 bye, 0-1; Week 4 bye, 1-0; Week 5 bye, 1-1; Week 6 bye, 1-3; Week 7 bye, 4-2; Week 9 bye, 1-0; Week 10 bye, 1-0.
* Green Bay holds an advantage in turnovers in games after the bye week. The Packers have committed 32 turnovers to the opponents 42. In the 10 games after the bye week in which the Packers had fewer turnovers than their opponents, they won nine and lost one.
* The Packesr played 14 of their 22 games after the bye week versus division opponents. They had a 9-5 record. They are 4-3 against AFC opponents.
* Aaron Rodgers is 2-1 after the bye week as the Packers starting quarterback. He completed 67% of his passes in those three games after the bye, averaging over 324 yards passing per game, and throwing for seven TDs and only one interception. He had a passer rating over 100 in two of the three games. In 17 games after the bye week with the Packers, Brett Favre was 10-7. He completed 61.6% of his passes, averaging 230.5 yards passing per game. He threw for 27 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He had a 100 or higher passer rating in seven of the 17 games.