“SIX STATS …” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
1. Penn State and Wisconsin have met 12 times in Big Ten Conference play since the Nittany Lions joined the conference in 1993. The two teams have each won six games in the series since ’93. Each team is 3-3 in home games. If there is good news for the Badgers, it’s that they have won both November home games in the series: 24-3 on Nov. 21, 1998 and 13-3 on Nov. 4, 2006.
2. Penn State lost both games to ranked teams this year, losing to Alabama (ranked #3) and Nebraska (ranked #19), Wisconsin is 1-1 versus ranked teams this year, winning against #8 Nebraska and losing to #16 Michigan State. Penn State and Wisconsin have played each other four times in the series where both teams were ranked in the Top 25. Penn State won three of the four games.
3. Watch for the Badgers running game as an indicator of whether or not they will win… Wisconsin has averaged 265 yards per game in their nine wins this season with an average of four TDs per game. In their two losses, the Badgers have averaged only 154 yards per game rushing and 1.5 rushing TDs.
4. Wisconsin has scored first in nine of their 11 games this year; Penn State has scored first in six of their 11 games. Wisconsin has held opponents scoreless in the first quarter in seven of the 11 games; Penn State has held opponents scoreless in the first quarter in six of their 11 games. The Badgers have committed only seven turnovers this season; the Nittany Lions have committed 18.
5. Penn State is 4-0 in away games this year. Wisconsin is 6-0 in home games in 2011. Something has to give!
6. Wisconsin and Penn State have played five common opponents this season:
* Nebraska: Wisconsin won by 31; Penn State lost by three.
* Indiana: Wisconsin won by 52; Penn State won by six.
* Ohio State: Wisconsin lost by four; Penn State won by six.
* Purdue: Wisconsin won by 45; Penn State won by five
* Illinois: Wisconsin won by 11; Penn State won by three.