“SIX STATS…” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
1. The last 16 NBA champions have had more rebounds than their opponents for the season. The last team to win the NBA title with fewer rebounds than their opponents in the season were the 1994-95 Houston Rockets.
2. During the 2010-2011 NBA season, 16 teams had more rebounds than their opponents for the season. Of those 16, 11 had a winning percentage over .500. Of the 14 teams who were outrebounded for the season by the opposition, only four had a winning record, nine were under .500, and one team finished at .500.
3. Last season the Utah Jazz were outrebounded by their opponents 3351 to 3236 for the season. It was the first time since the 1991-92 season that the Jazz had fewer rebounds than their foes for the season, breaking a string of 18 straight seasons where the Jazz had more rebounds than their opponents for the season.
4. Memphis has outrebounded their opponents in the last two NBA seasons. However, they had previously gone nine straight seasons where they were outrebounded by their opponents from 2000-01 to 2008-09.
5. The San Antonio Spurs have the longest current streak of consecutive seasons where they have outrebounded their opponents with 14; the Spurs have not been outrebounded in a season since 1996-97. Orlando has a streak of seven straight, followed by the Lakers and Oklahoma City with four straight seasons.
6. The longest current streak of seasons where a team has been outrebounded is held by Toronto. They have been outrebounded by the opposition in nine straight seasons. Golden State is second with seven straight seasons being outrebounded for the season.