“SIX STATS…” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
1. Marquette has played in six Big East Conference men’s basketball tournaments. They were a #4 seed (2006), twice a #5 seed (2009 and 2010), twice a #6 (2007, 2008) and the #11 seed in 2011. They are the number 2 seed this year.
2. Wisconsin has played in 14 Big Ten Conference men’s basketball tournaments. They have been the #1 seed three times (2002, 2003 and 2008), the #2 seed twice (2004, 2007), the #3 seed twice (2005, 2011), the #4 seed four times (1999, 2006, 2009, 2010) and the #5, #6 and #10 seed once apiece. Wisconsin is the #4 seed in this year’s tourney. The last three times the Badgers were the number 4 seed in the Big Ten men’s basketball tournament they lost their first game to the #5 seed (2010, 2009 and 2006).
3. Marquette has won 8 and lost 6 in Big East tourney play.
4. Wisconsin has won 14 and lost 12 in Big Ten Conference tourney play.
5. Marquette has defeated St. John’s three times in the tournament. They have lost to Georgetown and Pittsburgh twice each in the tourney. The Golden Eagles are 5-3 in games against teams that were lower seeds than them; they are 3-3 against teams that were higher seeds.
6. Wisconsin has defeated Michigan State and Illinois three times each in the tournament. They have lost to Illinois and Ohio State three times each in the tourney. The Badgers are 3-6 in games against teams that were higher seeds than them; they are 11-6 against teams that were lower seeds. They have been beat by a lower seeded team in their first game in each of the past three seasons.