Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ is a sports statistics blog published with a focus on stats that go beyond the numbers.
With his 13-yard touchdown pass to Hakeem Nicks in the third quarter of the Giants’ 38-10 win over the Green Bay Packers last Sunday night, Eli Manning reached a couple of milestones in his career:
* Manning’s TD pass to Nicks gave him 200 for his career and moved him ahead of Phil Simms (199 TD passes) for most TD passes by a New York Giants QB.
* Manning became the 33rd QB in NFL history to reach the 200-TD mark.
In addition, Eli became the 19th QB in league history to throw 200 or more touchdown passes for one team, making the Giants the 15th franchise to have at least one QB with 200-plus TD passes.
Here’s a rundown of the teams with one (or more) QBs with 200-plus TD passes with their franchise:
3: San Francisco (Joe Montana, 244; Steve Young, 221; John Brodie , 214)
2: Indianapolis (Peyton Manning, 399; Johnny Unitas, 287)
2: San Diego (Dan Fouts, 254, John Hadl, 201)
1: Arizona (Jim Hart, 209)
1: Buffalo (Jim Kelly, 237)
1: Denver (John Elway, 300)
1: Green Bay (Brett Favre, 442)
1: Kansas City (Len Dawson, 237)
1: Miami (Dan Marino, 420)
1: Minnesota (Fran Tarkenton, 239)
1: New England (Tom Brady, 324)
1: New Orleans (Drew Brees, 232)
1: New York Giants (Eli Manning, 200)
1: Philadelphia (Donovan McNabb, 216)
1: Pittsburgh: (Terry Bradshaw, 212)
There are 14 QBs who have thrown for 200-plus TDs in their career, but do not have 200 or more with one team. Those QBs are: Warren Moon, Vinny Testaverde, Sonny Jurgensen, Drew Bledsoe, Dave Krieg, Boomer Esiason, Y.A. Tittle, George Blanda, Kerry Collins, Kurt Warner, Randall Cunningham, Jim Everett, Roman Gabriel and Matt Hasselbeck.
It’s also interesting to note that four current quarterbacks are approaching the 200-TD mark for their teams and will likely change the landscape of the list above in various ways. For example:
* Dallas’ Tony Romo is currently tied with Troy Aikman for most TD passes in Cowboys’ history with 165. Romo’s next TD pass will give him the franchise record. Will Romo still be in Dallas to become the first Cowboys’ QB to throw 200 TD passes?
* The Packers Aaron Rodgers earlier this year passed Bart Starr (152) for second on the team’s list for most TD passes with the franchise. He now has 160 TD passes and could become the Pack’s second 200-TD QB next season.
* Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers has been on the sidelines for the past couple of weeks and has not added to his career TD passes of 182. He would join Terry Bradshaw as Pittsburgh’s 200-TD quarterbacks; that will likely happen in 2014.
* San Diego’s Philip Rivers has 181 career TD passes with the Chargers. He would join Fouts and Hadl with 200 when he reaches that mark (likely 2014) and would make the San Diego franchise only the second in league history to have three QBs with 200-plus TD passes.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp