Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ is a sports statistics blog published with a focus on stats that go beyond the numbers.
A pair of NFL teams – the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks – need a win at home this Sunday to finish with a perfect 8-0 record in games played on their home field.
The Falcons will face the Tampa Bay Bucs while the Seahawks will tangle with the St. Louis Rams. This would be the first perfect season at home for the Falcons since 1998; the Seahawks last finished 8-0 at home in the 2005 season.
Since 2000, there have been 19 teams that have finished 8-0 at home in a season. Three teams did it in 2011: Green Bay, New Orleans and Baltimore. Five teams that went 8-0 in a season since 2000 played in the Super Bowl that year. Those teams:
2003: New England
2004: New England
2007: New England
Could the Seahawks make a return trip to the Super Bowl with an 8-0 record at home in 2012, just like they did in 2005?
Here’s a few more stats from teams that went 8-0 at home since 2000:
* As mentioned above, five teams made the Super Bowl that year. Of those five, three won the Super Bowl (New England 2003, New England 2004 and Indianapolis 2007).
* Four teams lost in the Conference Championship Game that year.
* Seven teams lost in a Conference Divisional Game that year.
* Three teams lost in a Wild Card Game that year.
* Of the 19 teams with a perfect 8-0 record at home since 2000, all of them made the playoffs that year. Nine of the 19, however, were defeated in their first playoff game that year.
* Of the 14 teams that did not make the Super Bowl after their 8-0 record at home, 10 lost their playoff game at home.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp