Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ is a sports statistics blog published with a focus on stats that go beyond the numbers.
Here’s a quick item as a review of the 2012 NFL regular season.
How many points did an NFL team need to score to win in 2012? Looking at the 256 regular season games from last season, here’s a breakdown of win-loss records when teams scored a certain number of points in a game.
Points, Record when teams scored that number of points
0-9 points: 3-44 .064
10-19 points: 32-115 .218
20-29 points: 106-78-2 .575
30-39 points: 84-17 .832
40-49 points: 22-1 .957
50 points or more: 8-0 1.000
Here are a few additional stats:
* The most frequent scores were 13 points (teams scored 13 points in 37 games) and 24 points (teams scored 24 points in 37 games) Next was 23 points, which was scored by 34 teams last year.
* Teams that scored 25 or more points in a game were 161-35, an .821 winning percentage.
* Teams that scored under 25 points usually had a losing record, but teams had winning records in three point totals less than 25 points… teams were 7-6 when scoring 19 points; 20-14 when scoring 23 points; and 21-14-2 when scoring 24 points.
* Most points scored to lose a game last year was 41. Fewest points to win a game was seven.
* Teams were 35-194 (.180) when they scored under 20 points.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp