From May 30 and every day until September 5… the start of the 2013 NFL season… Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ will publish “99 Stats Until Kickoff” a daily dose of NFL stats that will get you ready for the 2013 NFL season.)
Six players had at least one game with 100 or more yards rushing in an NFL playoff game last year. The six: Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Marshawn Lynch, Colin Kaepernick, Frank Gore and Arian Foster. Gore gained 100-plus yards in two playoff games, including the Super Bowl, in last year’s postseason.
With his 140-yard effort versus Cincinnati on Wild Card weekend last postseason, Foster became the 18th player since 1960 to have three 100-yard games in his playoff career.
Following are the players who have had 100 or more yards rushing in three or more NFL playoff games (since 1960).
Games with 100 or more yards rushing
7 Terrell Davis, Emmitt Smith
6 John Riggins, Thurman Thomas
5 Marcus Allen, Franco Harris
4 Larry Csonka, Chuck Foreman
Did you know…
* There have been 124 different players who have gained 100 or more yards in at least one NFL playoff game.
* There have been 207 times when a player has gained 100 or more yards rushing in a playoff game since 1960. Teams have won 167 and lost 40 (a .807 winning percentage) in those playoff games.
* Eric Dickerson holds the playoff record with 248 yards gained in a postseason contest against the Dallas Cowboys on January 4, 1986.
* Seven different players have gained 200 or more yards in a playoff game.
* Michael Vick has the fewest carries to reach 100+ yards in a playoff game with eight. He did this with the Atlanta Falcons in a January 15, 2005 contest against the St. Louis Rams.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp