The Brewers won their 16th game of the 2014 season last night, 5-2 over the San Diego Padres. They have the majors best record at 16-6, and they reached the 16-win mark in the month of April for only the fourth time in team history.
With six games remaining in the month of April, is it possible that the Brewers could do something that has never been done in major league baseball history? It’s possible…
In 2003, the New York Yankees ended the month of April with a 21-6 record. It is the most wins by the end of April in the history of major league baseball. The Brewers, if they win their next three games at home against the Cubs, and then sweep the Cardinals in St. Louis in a series ending April 30, would end the month with 22 wins, a new record.
Let’s take a step back. Here’s a few possible scenarios for the Brewers as they close out the month of April.
If the Brewers win two of their next six games this month:
* Their 18 wins would make them only the 25th team in MLB history to end the month of April with at least 18 wins. The last team to win 18 or more by the end of April were the Boston Red Sox last season (they won 18 by April 30; they went on to win the World Series… more on that in a minute).
If the Brewers win three of their next six games this month:
* Their 19 wins would make them the seventh team in MLB history to win 19 or more games by the end of April. Last team to do so were the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2008 (they won 20 before April 30 that season)
If the Brewers win four of their next six games this month:
* Their 20 wins would make them only the fourth team in history to win 20 or more games by the end of April. They would join Seattle (20 wins in 2001), the Yankees (21 in 2003) and the Diamondbacks (20 in 2008) as the only teams to win 20 or more by the end of April.
If the Brewers win five of their next six games this month:
* They would tie the Yankees for the record for most wins by the end of April (21)
If the Brewers win all six of their remaining games this month:
* Their 22 wins would set the MLB record for most wins by the end of April.
A lot of “ifs” in the above scenarios. As stated above, if the Brewers can get at least two wins before the end of the month they will hit the 18-win mark, something that has been done only 24 times in MLB history. Of those 24 teams that did win 18 or more by the end of April in a season, 17 of those teams made the playoffs that year. Of the 24 teams, five went on to play in the World Series that season: Detroit (18 in 1984), Oakland (18 wins in 1989), San Diego (19 in 1998), the Yankees (21 in 2003) and Boston (18 in 2013). The Tigers, A’s and Red Sox won the World Series that year; the Padres and Yanks were on the losing end that season.
One final note: The Brewers 16 wins this season tie them with the 1998 and 2007 Brewers teams that also won 16 games by the end of April. Both of those team ended April with 16-9 marks. The Brewers best record by the end of April was in 1987 when the Brew Crew entered May of that season with an 18-3 record.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp