The 40th Ryder Cup Matches will be held from 26–28 September 2014 on the PGA Centenary Course at the Gleneagles Hotel near Auchterarder in Perthshire, Scotland. Here’s a look at a few stats from past events.
1. Although the USA leads the all-time series 25-12-2, the European squad has won the last two, five of the last six, and seven of the last nine competitions.
2. The Ryder Cup has been held on American soil 20 times (in 17 different states) since the series began in 1927. The U.S. states where it has been held include: California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, West Virginia. California, Massachusetts and Ohio have held the event twice.
3. Since 1979, the last 17 Ryder Cups, the competition has been decided by one point in seven years (there was also one tie). Six of the matches were decided by five points or more.
4. Tiger Woods has played in seven Ryder Cups (1997, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2012). The U.S. has won only one of those years (1999). Jack Nicklaus played in six Ryder Cups; the Americans won five and tied one in those matches. Arnold Palmer played in six Ryder Cups; the U.S. team was undefeated in those Ryder Cups.
5. Phil Mickelson has played in the most Ryder Cup matches for the U.S. team with 38. There are seven other American golfers who have played in 30 or more Ryder Cup matches: Billy Casper (37), Lanny Wadkins (34), Tiger Woods (33), Arnold Palmer (32), Raymond Floyd (31), Jim Furyk (30) and Lee Trevino (30).
6. Nick Faldo has played in the most Ryder Cup matches for the European team with 46. He is followed by Bernhard Langer with 42.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp