Packerstats 2017: Game #14, 31-24 loss to Carolina
Here are some of the numbers that helped define the Packers 31-24 loss to the Carolina Panthers on December 17.
- Playing games in the Eastern Time Zone (EST) has certainly made the Packers pretty “average.” The team is now 15-17 (.469) since 2010 in games played in the EST. They have lost five of their last eight games played in the EST.
- The score was tied at 7-7 at the end of the first quarter. Green Bay is 21-14 (.600) since 2010 in games that are tied at the end of the first quarter, but are 10-11 in those games that are played on the road.
- Davante Adams scored a TD in the game, a TD pass from Aaron Rodgers. He now has 26 career TD pass receptions. He is one of only 24 players in NFL history to have 25 or more TD pass receptions prior to his 25th birthday. Randy Moss leads this group with 53 TD receptions. With yesterday’s TD reception, Adams passed Randall Cobb for the most TD receptions prior to his 25th birthday with the Green Bay Packers franchise; the pair had been tied at 25. Adams is also now third on the all-time Packers list for most career TDs before the age of 25. Eddie Lacy tops this list with 29. He is followed by Paul Hornung with 27 and then Adams at 26. Cobb with 25 and Ahman Green with 24 complete the top five in this category. Adams does not turn 25 until December 24, so he will have one more game at the age of 24… this Saturday night versus Minnesota (that’s if he passes concussion protocol this week and plays in the game).
- The Pack led at halftime, 14-10. Since 2010, they are now 23-7 (.767) in those games when they have the lead at halftime on the road.
- Aaron Rodgers had three interceptions in the game for only the fourth time in his career (regular season games). Green Bay is 0-4 in those games. The other interesting thing about these four games is they were all played on the road and they were all played against NFC South opponents (Tampa Bay twice, New Orleans and Carolina).
- The Packers had four turnovers in the game and are now 5-25 (.167) since 2000 in those games. They are 1-16 (.059) in games on the road since 2000 when they have four or more turnovers.
- The Panthers scored 21 points in the second half. Green Bay is 7-9 (.438) since 2010 when they allow the opposition to score 20 or more points in the second half.
- Green Bay allowed 31 points to Carolina in the game. They have now lost 10 of their last 11 when they allow 30 or more points to an opponent in a road game. They are 5-17 (.227) since 2010.
- Carolina QB Cam Newton had four TD passes and no interceptions in the game. He became the 12th opposing QB to have four or more TD passes and no interceptions against the Packers. The last opposing QB to do so was Tennessee’s Mark Mariota last season on November 13. Green Bay is 2-10 when an opponent QB has four or more TD passes and no interceptions in a game.
- Rookie running back Aaron Jones had three carries for 47 yards in the game, an average of 15.7 yards per carry. He became only the third Green Bay player in the Super Bowl era (since 1966) to have a per-carry average of 15 yards or more in a game (minimum of three carries in the game). The others: Les Goodman, 1974 (three carries for 61 yards, 20.3 average) and DeShaun Wynn, 2008 (seven carries for 106 yards, 15.1 average).
- The Packers ran 67 plays in the game, 48 passes and 19 running plays. In games since 2000 when the Packers attempt 45 or more passes and less than 20 running plays, they are now 1-13.
- Rodgers had a Passer Rating of 71.5 in the game. Green Bay is 3-13 (.188) in games when Rodgers’ Passer Rating is under 72 (minimum of 10 pass attempts in the game). Thirteen of those 16 games were played on the road.
- Rodgers had only two interceptions in his four previous games against the Panthers, but three yesterday.
Today’s Sports Stat: December 18, 2017
Aaron Rodgers picked the wrong time to have a game with stats that he never had before in his career.
In the Pack’s 31-24 loss to Carolina in his return after a seven-week absence, Rodgers had three interceptions to go along with three TD passes. It was the first game in his career that he had three interceptions and three TD passes in the same game.
Rodgers became only the fifth Green Bay QB to have three interceptions and three TD passes in the same game. Lynn Dickey did it five times in his Green Bay career while Brett Favre did it in three Packers’ games. The other two Green Bay QBs who did it were Tobin Rote and Randy Wright, each who did it in one game.
George Blanda has the most NFL career games with three (or more) interceptions and three (or more) TD passes in the same contest. He did it in nine games.
Following are the NFL QBs with the most career games with three interceptions and three TD passes in the same game.
9: George Blanda
8: Dan Marino
7: Dan Fouts
6: Eli Manning, Johnny Unitas
5: Len Dawson, Lynn Dickey, John Hadl, Bobby Layne, Vinny Testaverde
Stats on Tapp