Brewers’ first baseman Jesus Aguilar will pull double-duty during the All-Star break as he will not only be one of five Brewers players on the National League squad, but he will also be a participant in the Home Run Derby.
Aguilar becomes the ninth Milwaukee Brewer to be in an All-Star Game Home Run Derby. The other eight: Ryan Braun, Jeromy Burnitz, Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, Carlos Lee, Richie Sexson, Greg Vaughn and Rickie Weeks.
Here are a handful of stats you may not know about Brewers players in the ASG Home Run Derby:
- Vaughn was the first participant in 1996. The ASG Home Run Derby started in 1985.
- Vaughn is the only Brewers participant in the event who did not hit a home run in the event. He had zero HRs in the only round he was a participant in ’85.
- Fielder and Sexson are the only Brewers to have participated in more than one event; Fielder was in three (2007, 2009 and 2011) while Sexson was in two (2002 and 2003).
- Fielder is the only Brewer to win the event. He did it in 2009.
- Five different Brewers lost in the semi-finals in the event: Sexson in 2002, Lee in 2005, Braun in 2008, Hart in 2010 and Fielder in 2011.
- Burnitz is the only other Brewer player to make it to the finals (other than Fielder in 2009) in the event. He lost to Ken Griffey Jr. in the finals in 1999.
- Miller Park hosted the ASG and Home Run Derby in 2002. Jason Giambi won the event that year.
- Adding up all the home runs hit by Brewers players in the Home Run Derby, it’s no surprise that Fielder has the most cumulative home runs with 35 in three years. He is followed by Lee with 15, Braun and Burnitz with 14, Hart with 13, Sexson with 11, weeks with three and Vaughn with zero.
- Two Brewers, Burnitz in 1999 and Fielder in 2011, did not hit a home run in at least 10 games after the All-Star game after participating in the Home Run Derby that year. Burnitz did not hit a HR until the 15th game after the Home Run Derby; it took Fielder 13 games after the Home Run Derby in 2011 before he hit his first HR after the event.
Follow Jerry on Twitter @StatsonTapp