The home run is an important weapon for the Brewers
Through games of September 5, the Milwaukee Brewers have the third most home runs in the majors with 186 (behind the Yankees, 210 and the Braves, 203). How important is the home run to this year’s Brew Crew? Consider this:
- The Brewers are 57-37 (.606 winning percentage) in games when they hit an HR. In games when they do not have a homer, they have a 14-26 record (.350). Their 94 games this season with at least one home run is tied for fifth most in the majors.
- Milwaukee has three or more home runs in 23 games this season with a record of 19-4 (.826) in those games. The 23 games with three or more dingers are third most in the majors.
- The Brewers have hit two or more home runs in 58 games this year, tied for the most in MLB play with the Yankees. The Brewers are 41-17 (.707) in games in 2022 when they hit two or more HRs.
- Of the 186 home runs this season, 126 of them have come in games won by the Brewers. That means that 67.7% of the homers hit by the team have come in games they won.
- The 126 home runs in victories are tied for the fifth most in baseball. The Yanks top the list with 163 home runs in victory.
The Brewers have nine players who have hit 10 or more home runs this season, led by Rowdy Tellez team-leading 28 homers. Of these nine players with 10+ HRs this season, it’s interesting to note that two of those players have hit 80% or more of their long balls in games won by the Brewers: Tyrone Taylor has hit 12 of his 15 homers this year (80%) in games won by the Brewers, but Luis Urias tops the club by hitting 12 of his 14 home runs (86%) in Brewers wins.
Here is a breakdown of the 16 players who have homered for the Brewers this season and how many of their homers have come in a victory.
Player HRs in Brewers win Total HRs Pct of HRs in win
Garrett Mitchell 1 1 1.000
Lorenzo Cain 1 1 1.000
Luis Urias 12 14 .857
Tyrone Taylor 12 15 .800
Rowdy Tellez 21 28 .750
Omar Narvaez 3 4 .750
Andrew McCutchen 10 14 .714
Willy Adames 17 26 .654
Keston Huira 9 14 .643
Christian Yelich 7 11 .636
Jace Peterson 5 8 .625
Mike Brosseau 3 5 .600
Hunter Renfroe 14 24 .583
Victor Caratini 5 9 .556
Kolton Wong 6 11 .545
Mark Mathias 0 1 .000