Aaron Jones: Oneith TD by land, oneith TD by air
One of Green Bay running back Aaron Jones distinct traits is his ability to score as a runner and as a receiver. That point was made very clearly in the Pack’s 27-10 win over the Bears on September 18 when Jones scored a pair of TDs in the second quarter. Jones scored on a 15-yard run and later that period took an Aaron Rodgers pass and found the end zone on an eight-yard pass play.
It was the fifth game in Jones’ career where he had at least one TD via a run and a TD via a pass play. The five games with at least one running TD and one receiving TD put Jones in a tie for third on the team career list with Jim Taylor. Ahman Green tops the club in this stat with nine games in his Packers career with a run TD and pass receiving TD in the same contest. Paul Hornung is second on the list with six such games in his Green Bay career.
The NFL career leader for most games with a TD run and TD pass reception in the same game is held by Marshall Faulk with 15. There are 12 players who have had nine or more regular season games with a TD run/TD reception in their careers. They are:
- Aaron Jones has had the Packers last four games with a run TD/pass receiving TD.
- Of Jones five games with a TD run/TD pass reception, three came in September (Sept. 20, 2020, Sept. 20, 2021, September 18, 2022). The other two happened on Nov. 15, 2018, and Dec. 12, 2021.
- There have been 70 times in Green Bay history that a player had a TD run and TD reception in the same game. The team is 53-17 in those games (a .757 winning percentage).
- The youngest Packer to have a TD run/TD reception in the same game is Travis Williams who has 21 years-337 days when he did it on December 17, 1967. The oldest? Tony Canadeo who was 33 years-202 days when he did it on November 23, 1952.
- Paul Hornung is the only Packers player to have two or more TD runs and two or more TD receptions in the same game. He had three rushing TD and caught two passes for TD on December 12, 1965.
- The Packers have had six players with a TD via run and a TD via pass reception in the same playoff game: Ted Fritsch (1944), Eddie Lee Ivery (1983), James Lofton (1983), John Kuhn (2011 and 2013); Aaron Jones was the last Packer to do it in the post-season (January 19, 2020, versus the San Francisco 49ers).
Note: If you are looking to stump some of your Packers fans friends on a great trivia question, ask them who is the only Packers player to have a TD run and a TD reception in two different playoff games. My prediction is that not many will guess John Kuhn (see above bullet point).