The Boston Celtics go for their 15th straight win tonight in Atlanta versus the Hawks. The Celtics are looking to become the 42nd team in NBA history to have a streak of 15 or more consecutive regular season wins.
This year’s team is also hoping to become the sixth Celtics team to win 15 straight. The 2008-09 Celtics won a team record 19 straight. They also won 15 or more regular season contests in 1981-82 (18), 1964-65 (16), 1959-60 (17), and won 15 straight over two seasons in 1956-57 and 1957-58. It’s interesting to note that the ’09 and ’82 teams did not make the finals that season. The 1960 and 1965 teams won the title that year; the ’57 team won the title and the ’58 team lost in the finals.
If the Celts can win 15 straight for the sixth time in their history, they would tie the Lakers for most streaks of 15 or more wins by an NBA franchise with six. Following are the NBA franchises that have had regular season winning streaks of 15 or more games two or more times.
6 (winning streaks of 15 or more): L.A. Lakers
3: Houston, Milwaukee, San Antonio, Washington
2: Golden State, New York Knicks, Phoenix, Portland, Utah.
Stats on Tapp
Washington pitcher Max Scherzer won the National League Cy Young Award for the second consecutive season. He becomes the ninth pitcher in MLB history to win that award in back-to-back seasons.
The other eight pitchers: Sandy Koufax (1965-1966), Jim Palmer (1975-1976), Roger Clemens (1986-1987; 1997-1998), Greg Maddux (1992-1995), Randy Johnson (1999-2002), Pedro Martinez (1999-2000), Tim Lincecum (2008-2009), Clayton Kershaw (2013-2014), Max Scherzer (2016-17).
Scherzer also became the 10th starting pitcher to win a Cy Young Award with 16 or fewer regular season wins. Fernando Valenzuela (1981) and Felix Hernandez (2010) each won Cy Young awards with 13 wins, the fewest wins for a starting pitcher to win the honor.
The 10 starting pitchers that won the Cy Young with 16 or fewer wins: Fernando Valenzuela (13 win in 1981), Rick Sutcliffe (16-1984), David Cone (16-1994), Greg Maddux (16-1996), Brandon Webb (16-2006), Tim Lincecum (15-2009), Zack Greinke (16-2009), Felix Hernandez (13-2010), Clayton Kershaw (16-2013), Max Scherzer (16-2017).
Scherzer also became the 10th pitcher in MLB history to win the Cy Young Award three times. Roger Clemens tops this category as a seven-time honoree. The 10 players to win three or more Cy Youngs: Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Steve Carlton, Greg Maddux, Sandy Koufax, Pedro Martinez, Jim Palmer, Tom Seaver, Clayton Kershaw and Scherzer. Of the 10 listed, seven are in the Hall of Fame… Scherzer and Kershaw are still active; Clemens has not been voted in to the Hall.
Stats on Tapp
Take a look at the scores from the Packers games this season and you will see an interesting trend… when the Pack has scored 20 or more points in a game they are 4-1; when they scored less than 20 points, they are 1-3.
If we scour the entire league scores through Week #10, there is a similar thread… teams that scored 20 or more points in a game are 125-48 (a .723 winning percentage), those that scored less than 20 points in a game were 21-98 (a .176 winning percentage).
Six teams are undefeated when they have scored 20 or more points in a game this season: Minnesota (7-0), Pittsburgh (6-0), Atlanta (5-0), Tennessee (5-0), Oakland (4-0) and Chicago (2-0). It’s interesting to note that when the above teams score under 20 points, their combined record is 3-22; the Vikings are 0-2, Steelers 1-2, Falcons 0-4, Titans 1-3, Raiders 0-5 and the Bears 1-6.
Four teams have each won two games this season when they scored under 20 points in a contest, Arizona, Carolina, Minnesota and Seattle.
Stats on Tapp
How important is it for NFL offenses to convert on their third-down attempts? Consider these stats:
- The six teams with the best third-down conversion percentage in the league (all at 45% or higher) have a combined winning record of 40-14, a .741 winning percentage. The six teams: L.A. Rams, Carolina, Philadelphia, Dallas, Minnesota and New England.
- Fourteen NFL teams have a third down conversion percentage above 40%. Those teams have a combined record of 83-43 (.659).
- The eighteen NFL teams that have a third down conversion percentage under 40% have a combined record of 62-102 (.378).
- The seven teams that have the worst third down conversion percentage in the league (under 35%) are a combined 18-45 (.286).
I guess you could make a case that converting those third down situations (especially at the 40% rate or higher) is a good indicator of success in the NFL.
Here are some of the numbers that helped define the Packers 23-16 win over the Chicago Bears on November 12.
- The Packers have now won eight straight games against the Bears at Soldier Field.
- Green Bay has held the Bears to under 20 points in 13 of their last 19 meetings. The Pack is 12-1 in those games.
- The Packers have now won eight of their last 10 games when they score in the first quarter. Since 2010, Green Bay is 63-24-1 (.722) in games when they score points in the first quarter.
- Mike Daniels had a sack in the contest. Green Bay is 16-3-1 (.825) when Daniels gets one of more sacks in a contest (a game with 0.5 sacks is not included in this stat).
- Nick Perry had three sacks for the Packers in the game. He is the first player since A.J. Hawk in 2013 to have three or more sacks in a game for the Packers. Perry is the 15th Packers defender since 1982 (when sacks became an official stat) to record three or more sacks in a game.
- The Packers “D” had five sacks in the game. They are 12-0-1 in the last 13 games when they get five or more sacks. Since 2000, the team is 31-8-1 (.788) in games where the defense records five or more sacks in a game.
- The Packers had a 10-6 lead at halftime. They have now won 13 of their last 14 when they have a lead at halftime on the road. Since 2000, Green Bay is 55-15 (.786) in road games where they held the lead at halftime.
- The Packers led 13-6 going into the fourth quarter. They have now won 15 straight when they have a lead on the road going into the fourth quarter.
- Mason Crosby made three field goals in the game. Green Bay is 30-7 (.811) in the regular season in games where Crosby makes three or more field goals.
- Davante Adams had a 19-yard TD reception in the game. It was the first TD pass for the team in the last three games.
- Chicago Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky had a Passer Rating of 97.0. That is the sixth highest Passer Rating for a rookie QB versus the Packers. Charlie Batch holds the highest Passer Rating for a rookie QB versus the Packers; he had a 149.6 Passer Rating in 1998 in a Detroit win over Green Bay.
- Jamaal Williams rushed 20 times for 67 yards for the Packers. He was the first Packers running back to carry the ball 20 or more times since Eddie Lacy had 24 carries in a Dec. 13, 2015 game against the Cowboys. Williams became the seventh different Green Bay running back to have 20 or more carries in a game since 2010. The other six: Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant, Alex Green, Brandon Jackson, Eddie Lacy and James Starks.
- Brett Hundley had a 110.7 Passer Rating in the game. He becomes the 17th Green Bay QB to have a game with a Passer Rating above 100. The other 16 QBs: Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Lynn Dickey, Don Majkowski, Randy Wright, David Whitehurst, Matt Flynn, Scott Hunter, Anthony Dilweg, John Hadl, Blair Kiel, Craig Nall, Bart Starr, Zeke Bratkowski, Doug Pederson and Mike Tomczak.
- The Packers rushed for 160 yards and held the Bears to only 55 yards rushing. It was the first game since 2012 that Green Bay had over 160 yards rushing and held the opposition under 60 yards in the same game (versus Arizona… the Packers had 176 yards rushing, the Cardinals had 54). The Packers have now had nine games with 160+ yards rushing and the opponents were under 60… Green Bay was 9-0 in these games.
- For the second straight game, the Packers did not have a turnover. They have now won 11 of their last 13 when they do not commit a turnover. Since 2010, Green Bay is 37-6-1 (.852) in games where they have zero turnovers.
- Green Bay scored on five of their 10 possessions (50.0%), the Bears scored on four of their 11 possessions (36.4%)