Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ is a biweekly blog published every Wednesday and Sunday with a bonus “SIX STATS…” posting every Friday.
Two running backs last weekend joined the list of players who gained 100 or more yards rushing in an NFL playoff game. On Saturday, Houston’s Arian Foster gained 153 yards in the Texans win over Cincinnati; on Sunday, Pittsburgh’s Isaac Redman had 121 yards rushing in the Steelers loss to Denver.
Following are the players who had 100 or more yards rushing in three or more NFL playoff games (since 1960).
Games with 100 or more yards rushing
7 Terrell Davis, Emmitt Smith
6 John Riggins, Thurman Thomas
5 Marcus Allen, Franco Harris
4 Larry Csonka, Chuck Foreman
Did you know…
* There have been 122 different players who have gained 100 or more yards in an NFL playoff game.
* There have been 198 times when a player has gained 100 or more yards rushing in a playoff game. Teams have won 161 and lost 37 (a .813 winning percentage) when they have had a player gain 100 or more yards in a playoff game.
* Eric Dickerson holds the playoff record with 248 yards gained in a postseason contest against the Dallas Cowboys on January 4, 1986.
* Seven different players have gained 200 or more yards in a playoff game.
* Michael Vick has the fewest carries to reach 100+ yards in a playoff game with eight. He did this with the Atlanta Falcons in a January 15, 2005 contest against the St. Louis Rams.