“SIX STATS…” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
1. This is Wisconsin‘s eighth time in the Rose Bowl. They have a 3-4 record. They rank third in the Big Ten Conference in Rose Bowl appearances; Michigan leads with 20, followed by Ohio State with 14. In six of the seven games, the outcome has been decided by eight points or less.
2. Barry Alvarez was 3-0 in Rose Bowl appearances. The other Wisconsin coaches who coached in the Rose Bowl: Ivy Williamson (1953), Milt Bruhn (1960, 1963) and Bret Bielema (2011). Bielema last year became the ninth person in Rose Bowl history to both play and coach in the Rose Bowl.
3. This is the first time that the Badgers have played the Rose Bowl game on a Monday. They are 0-1 on Tuesday, 0-1 on Thursday, 1-1 on Friday, 2-1 on Saturday. This is also the first time they’ve played the Rose Bowl on a date other than January 1.
4. This is Wisconsin’s 23rd bowl game. They have a 11-11 record. This is their 10th straight year with a bowl game bid and the 17th year in the last 19 where they have played in a bowl game.
5. This is the fifth time that Wisconsin will face a team ranked higher than them in the Rose Bowl. In the 1963 game between Wisconsin and USC, it was the first time in history that the number 1 ranked and number 2 ranked teams faced off in a bowl game.
6. A few other odds and ends:
* The 7-0 loss the Badgers suffered in 1953 is the second lowest scoring game in Rose Bowl history.
* The Badgers and UCLA set a Rose Bowl record in 1999 when they combined for 1,035 total yards.
* In 2000, Ron Dayne became the third player in Rose Bowl history to be selected game MVP for the second time.
* The 24 combined points scored in the first quarter by Wisconsin and TCU in last year’s game was the most points scored by two teams in the first quarter in Rose Bowl history.
* This is the first time a Big Ten team has make back-to-back appearances in the Rose Bowl since Michigan did it in 2004, 2005. Prior to that, Wisconsin make consecutive Rose Bowl appearances in 1999, 2000.
SIX STATS… is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’
1. The Badgers football team has never won 10 or more games three seasons in a row. They won 11 in 2010; 10 in 2009.
3. The last losing season for the Badgers was in 2001 when they went 5-7. Their longest streak of losing seasons was 10 from 1964-73.
4. Their current streak of nine straight winning seasons is not a record. The school had 18 straight winning seasons from 1892-1909.
5. Bret Bielema has started his career as head coach with five straight winning seasons. Three other head coaches had winning seasons in their first six seasons (or more). Phil King had eight straight winning seasons to start his coaching career at Wisconsin from 1896-1905. Two other coaches had six straight winning seasons to start their Wisconsin head coaching careers… JR Richards (1919-24) and Ivy Williamson (1949-54).
6. The highest the Badgers have been ranked in a preseason AP poll was #4 in 2000. The highest the team has been ranked in the AP poll at the end of a season is #2 after the 1962 campaign.