“SIX STATS…” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
1. LaDainian Tomlinson has scored three overtime TDs in his career, tops in the NFL. Seven players have scored two overtime TDs: Michael Timpson, Jimmy Smith, John Jefferson, Santonio Holmes, Travis Henry, Mike Brown and Jerome Bettis.
2. Drew Bledsoe has thrown the most overtime TD passes, four. Terry Bradshaw is one behind Bledsoe with three. Five QBs have thrown two OT TD passes: Mark Brunell, Brett Favre, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon and Brian Sipe.
3. Of the 118 game-winning TDs in overtime, 61 have been scored by the home team, 57 by the visitors.
4. Tamarick Vanover is the youngest player to score an overtime touchdown. He scored on a punt return for Kansas City in a game in 1995. He was 21 years old. The oldest? Jimmy Smith scored an overtime touchdown for Jacksonville in 2005 at the age of 36. The youngest QB to throw a TD pass in overtime? Bledsoe at the age of 21. The oldest? Moon at the age of 38.
5. Fifty-six of the 118 overtime TDs have been passes. There have been 33 rushing touchdowns in OT. There have been 18 OT TDs scored via interception return for TD. The Cardinals Patrick Peterson returned a punt 99 yards for a TD in overtime last Sunday night in Arizona’s 19-13 win over St. Louis. It was only the second punt return to win a game in overtime in NFL history.
6. Where have the touchdowns in overtime been scored from on the field?
50 yards or more: 33
40-49 yards: 11
30-39 yards: 22
20-29 yards: 19
10-19 yards: 13
Under 10 yards: 20