“SIX STATS…” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
(This post is dedicated to Jeff Gordon‘s biggest fan, Dolly Tapp. Her battle cry of “Go Jeffy, Go!” is forever embedded in my memory banks.)
Jeff Gordon won his 85th race two weeks ago vaulting him into third place on NASCAR‘s all-time wins list. Here’s a look at some of the stats from those wins.
1. June and September are the months when Gordon has won the most races. He has won 13 races in both of those months. He has won 12 in August.
2. Gordon has won races in 19 states. Topping the list is North Carolina where he has won 10 races. After North Carolina: Virginia (9), California (8), South Carolina (7), Florida (6), Alabama (6) and Georgia, Tennessee and Pennsylvania with five each.
3. Gordon’s birthday is August 4. He has never won a race on his birthday, although he did win a race on August 5, 2001, one day after turning 30.
4. During his career, Gordon has gone winless in three NASCAR seasons: 1993, 2008 and 2010. His longest victory drought was 22 months and 22 days.
5. Gordon has won four Sprint Cup Series in his career; the lowest he ever finished was 14th in 1993.
6. Gordon won 55 races in his 20’s; he won 29 races in his thirties.