“SIX STATS …” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
1. Penn State and Wisconsin have met 12 times in Big Ten Conference play since the Nittany Lions joined the conference in 1993. The two teams have each won six games in the series since ’93. Each team is 3-3 in home games. If there is good news for the Badgers, it’s that they have won both November home games in the series: 24-3 on Nov. 21, 1998 and 13-3 on Nov. 4, 2006.
2. Penn State lost both games to ranked teams this year, losing to Alabama (ranked #3) and Nebraska (ranked #19), Wisconsin is 1-1 versus ranked teams this year, winning against #8 Nebraska and losing to #16 Michigan State. Penn State and Wisconsin have played each other four times in the series where both teams were ranked in the Top 25. Penn State won three of the four games.
3. Watch for the Badgers running game as an indicator of whether or not they will win… Wisconsin has averaged 265 yards per game in their nine wins this season with an average of four TDs per game. In their two losses, the Badgers have averaged only 154 yards per game rushing and 1.5 rushing TDs.
4. Wisconsin has scored first in nine of their 11 games this year; Penn State has scored first in six of their 11 games. Wisconsin has held opponents scoreless in the first quarter in seven of the 11 games; Penn State has held opponents scoreless in the first quarter in six of their 11 games. The Badgers have committed only seven turnovers this season; the Nittany Lions have committed 18.
5. Penn State is 4-0 in away games this year. Wisconsin is 6-0 in home games in 2011. Something has to give!
6. Wisconsin and Penn State have played five common opponents this season:
* Nebraska: Wisconsin won by 31; Penn State lost by three.
* Indiana: Wisconsin won by 52; Penn State won by six.
* Ohio State: Wisconsin lost by four; Penn State won by six.
* Purdue: Wisconsin won by 45; Penn State won by five
* Illinois: Wisconsin won by 11; Penn State won by three.
“SIX STATS…” is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’ and is published every Friday.
Two Top 10 college teams face off Saturday as the Nebraska Cornhuskers (ranked 8th) play their very first Big Ten Conference game this Saturday against Wisconsin (ranked 7th). Here’s a look at the previous match-ups between the two teams.
1. Wisconsin and Nebraska have faced each other five times previous to Saturday. Nebraska holds the edge with three wins and two losses. The Cornhuskers have played 146 games against Big Ten opponents compiling a 74-64-8 record. They are 43-21-4 at home, 4-1 at neutral sites and 27-42-4 in away games. They are 8-1 in their last nine games against Big Ten teams.
2. The very first game played between Wisconsin and Nebraska was on November 2, 1901. The game was played in Milwaukee. Wisconsin won 18-0. The Badgers went on the finish 9-0 that season, the first time they went undefeated in a season in school history. Touchdowns scored in games in 1901 accounted for only five points; the Badgers scored three touchdowns and had three extra points (called goals) in the game.
3. Nebraska won the second match-up 37-0 in a game October 9, 1965 in Lincoln, Neb. The Cornhuskers were ranked number one going in to the game; they finished ranked second in the nation that season after a Cotton Bowl loss to Alabama. The Badgers finished 2-7-1 that season.
4. Wisconsin hosted Nebraska the following year in Madison. The Cornhuskers, ranked number seven coming in to the game, prevailed again, this time by a score of 31-3. One of the interceptions in that game was made by a Nebraska linebacker named Barry Alvarez… yes, that same Barry Alvarez!
5. On September 23, 1973 the two teams played for the fourth time. Nebraska was ranked number two in the nation, but the Badgers gave them all they could handle. Nebraska won the game 20-16. The Badgers that season ended up 4-7; they lost their first three games that year by a total of eight points.
6. The last time the two teams met was Sept. 21, 1974 in Madison, a date many Badgers fans remember. Wisconsin won the game 21-20 over the fourth-ranked Cornhuskers. Nebraska ended the season 9-3, while the Badgers ended 7-4. Wisconsin was ranked number 11 in the polls after their upset win over Nebraska, but they lost their next game to Colorado 24-21. The 7-4 record for the Badgers was their first winning season since 1962.
SIX STATS… is a bonus feature of Sports Stats ‘on Tapp’
1. The Badgers football team has never won 10 or more games three seasons in a row. They won 11 in 2010; 10 in 2009.
3. The last losing season for the Badgers was in 2001 when they went 5-7. Their longest streak of losing seasons was 10 from 1964-73.
4. Their current streak of nine straight winning seasons is not a record. The school had 18 straight winning seasons from 1892-1909.
5. Bret Bielema has started his career as head coach with five straight winning seasons. Three other head coaches had winning seasons in their first six seasons (or more). Phil King had eight straight winning seasons to start his coaching career at Wisconsin from 1896-1905. Two other coaches had six straight winning seasons to start their Wisconsin head coaching careers… JR Richards (1919-24) and Ivy Williamson (1949-54).
6. The highest the Badgers have been ranked in a preseason AP poll was #4 in 2000. The highest the team has been ranked in the AP poll at the end of a season is #2 after the 1962 campaign.